Rice is enjoyed throughout the world; in fact it is the staple food in many Asian countries and an important cereal crop which feeds more than half of the earth’s human population. It is the most common grain crop in the world and produced in more than 80 countries. Rice is known for its digestibility and its many uses; it is a important food source in many countries and an important ingredient in many condiments and other culinary products.
The health benefits of rice are not as widely known as it should be. It is a major cause of nutritional diseases and many health experts believe that its negative effects may prove to be more dangerous than good. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, an estimated 24 million tons of rice are produced in the United States annually. However, this crop is not a healthy one as often as it is known to be filled with toxic chemicals and other harmful ingredients.
The most common rice being grown commercially is often genetically modified (GM) and contains genes from the soil bacterium known as Rhubarb. This has caused many health experts to believe that eating GM foods may lead to increased health risks. There is also evidence that the transgenic rice may react with other foods to produce toxins and allergens.
The presence of allergens and toxins in GM foods may harm customers. In addition, there is some evidence that the consumption of modified foods may have a beneficial effect on allergic reactions. However, the exact role of this food in modified cell DNA’s effects is still unknown.
Rice is an ancient food believed to be of positive effect on health. It is low in fat and rich in carbohydrates and protein. Brown rice is produced by removing the husk and bran from the rice. It is then polished to remove the bran and sometimes chlorine may also be added. The outer skin is removed and the rice is ready to be stored in liquid or dry form.
Rice is among the most popular foods and widely available in many areas. It can be used in almost any type of cooked dish and in many forms of preparation. Rice is also often purchased as a processed food and is well-suited for serving as a side dish with other foods. It can be prepared in a microwave, oven, and on the stove.
Health Benefits Of Rice
Eating rice has many health benefits including fat loss, muscle gain, better skin, hair, eyesight and nails. A cup of brown rice on February 17 was recommended by the American Heart Association for a facelift discussion and it was also recommended for a weight loss program.
Although rice was once considered to be a staple food, more and more Americans are beginning to experiment with other foods and rice is often among the top requested ingredients and turns out to be an ingredient or a product which people cannot get enough of.
Basic rice recipes have been around for centuries, you will find many rice recipes in old books and in many cookbooks. Rice has also been winner as the main ingredient in many cosmetics and fragrant lotions.
Although many people have enjoyed rice in many ways, especially as a prepared meal, the dish does not have many vegan versions. Which is not to say that you cannot prepare it in a vegan fashion, it just takes a little bit of creativity.
Here are some great ideas for how you could incorporate rice in your vegan diet:
• Pastas – For this, see the three items listed above. For a pasta dish, see spaghetti, linguine, elbow macaroni, whole wheat pasta, regular pasta and cherry tomatoes.
• Rice pilaf – Try this one with the mentioned three ingredients. Also, use brown rice if you have it. With the wonderful taste of couscous, the combined flavor of the rice and the dill/spice combo should win the chef award.
• Scrambled tofu with almonds/ cashews/berries – The tofu can be substituted with a firm, more meaty alternative like silken tofu. You could also add saffron or a little mint to taste. Again, this dish works well with a vegan margarine/mantarella spread.
• Japanese vegetable stir fry – This is a quick and easy way to get a great value protein in your vegan diet. The host of vegetables can be mixed together with red or yellow bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and tofu – or you could just have individuals. For the herbs, you could use the whole leek (makes one packet) or just use half the quantity of leaves and crush them using a pestle and mortar. The host of vegetables would be served on a bed of rice or noodles.
• Acidified tomato sauce – If you are looking for a way to kick up the tomato flavor, here is one of the best ways. Peel the tomato and remove the core.